Monthly Archives: July 2011
A new runner asked the question on a mail group – “How can I motivate myself to run?”.
Believe me, I passed (and still pass) through many moments of self-doubt and de-motivation. Some things I do –
- Always run away (not the “never coming back again” sorts!) from home (with some id and initially very little money) till I feel I can run no more. Still have to get back home which means I have to run the return distance after I am ready to give up. The “very little money” meant that no autorickshaw rides home.
- Stopped running in parks (basically in circles) – it’s the most “run killing” thing that you can do! I made an exception to this rule last year when most Delhi roads were dug up before the commonwealth games. Most real long runs were in a park with a 5.6km loop.
- The days I feel very low on motivation I tell myself I will do a very short run and somehow get myself out of the door and on the road. I will then say to myself – if I can belt out a few extra kms today that means I won’t have to run more tomorrow. Many a times on my very low motivation days I will end up putting in the maximum kms with this strategy.
- Buy myself good (and sometimes a little expensive) running gear. Then I will say to myself “are you going to just waste all that money by not using this stuff!”
- Talk about running to whoever will listen and look at their awestruck expressions when I mention my mileage that day/week/month…!
- Tell people what I used to weigh earlier and also look at some of my old photos from time to time. Also started buying clothes which were exact fits, which meant even a small weight gain meant I would feel it. Fear is a good motivator!
I am sure there were many more such small things which have kept me going.
Do write in with your comments on what keeps you running.